Sierra County Veterans Services Office supports veterans and their families with local support. We provide veterans with advocacy and assistance with various county, state, and federal veteran programs. It is our hope that every veteran in Sierra County receives the benefits and services that are entitled to by law.
Sierra County Veterans Services work as advocates for veterans and their families. We provide support, education, and assistance with:
• Compensation and disability
• VA Pension
• Education Benefits
• Character of Discharge upgrade
• Enrollment in VA Healthcare System
Along with advocating for veterans and their families, we also provide educational and assistance with other possible veteran's benefits.
• VA Home Loans
• Burial Benefits
• Employment Referrals
• Reduced Hunting and Fishing license
• State Park Pass
• College Fee Waiver or dependents
• And much more
VA Disability and Compensation
A monthly benefit paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs to veterans for an injury, condition, or illness that started during or was aggravated (beyond natural progression) by active service in the military.
• This benefit is tax-free
• Reserve and National Guard service members may qualify
Provides monthly payments to wartime Veterans who meet a certain age and disability requirements, and who have income and net worth limits.
• There is no time limit to apply for VA Pension
There are multiple state and federal education programs that veterans and their dependents may qualify for.
• Post 9/11 GI Bill
• Montgomery GI Bill
• Dependent college tuition fee waiver
• The California National Guard Education
• Assistance Award Program (CNGEAAP)
• Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
The Veterans Health Administration is the nation's largest integrated healthcare system. This system includes hospitals, nursing homes, domiciliary, readjustment centers, and various other facilities.
• Service in the active military, naval, or air service and discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.
• Reservists and National Guard members may also qualify for VA healthcare benefits.
Reno VA Medical Center
Provides physical care, mental health services, women's health care, sexual trauma support, and alcohol and drug treatment to enrolled veterans.
Office Locations and Hours
Office locations are walk-in friendly, but appointments are appreciated.
Loyalton Wellness Center
706 Mill Street, Loyalton CA, 96118
2nd and 4th Thursday of every month
Downieville Wellness Center
22 Maiden Lane, Downieville CA, 95936
1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month
Other Helpful Links:
Veterans Crisis Line
Dial 988 then press 1
Sierra County Crisis Line
Reno Vet Center
Reno VA Hospital
Main Number: 775-786-7200
Mental Health: 775-326-2920
Community Care/Care Program:
Women's Veterans Program: