Victim Compensation

Victim Compensation

The Victim of Crime Compensation Program, administered by the State Board of Control, was established to provide financial reimbursement to victims of crime who suffer unreimbursed financial losses due to physical or emotional injury as a direct result of a crime. It is funded through fines and penalties assessed by the courts and deposited in the restitution fund. All California counties have a Victim/Witness Assistance Center to help apply for compensation. Victims may also file their own claim or go through a private attorney.

"Victim" defined....

(The crime must occur in California or the victim must be a California resident.)
  • Person injured as a result of crime
  • Persons legally dependent on victim
  • Family members or persons in close relationship who witness crime
  • Family members or persons in close relationship who must receive treatment or be present during victim's treatment
  • Family members of an injured or murdered victim who sustain emotional injury
  • Anyone who pays medical or burial expenses of a victim who dies as result of a crime

What Losses Are Covered

(Out of pocket expenses not covered by insurance, civil damage awards, or other compensation programs)
  • Medically related expenses
  • Psychological counseling
  • Funeral & burial expenses
  • Job training or retraining expenses
  • Loss of income or support

Requirements to File a Claim

  • Must file within one year of crime
  • Must have written proof of losses
  • Must report crime to police and cooperate in the investigation and prosecution of the case
  • Victims actions must not have contributed to the crime

Other Compensation Options

  • Workers Compensation
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Aid to Families with Dependent Children
  • Federal and State Disability Benefits
  • Medi-Cal

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Victim Services Website This website will provide you with valuable information ifyou were the victim, survivor, or witness to a crime and the offender was sentenced to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) either in an adult or juvenile facility. To request CDCR Victim Services, please download the Request for Victim Services form after you have been to the website.