In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program
In-Home Supportive Services
The IHSS Program will help pay for services provided to you so that you can remain safely in your own home. Having help with tasks around the house not only makes the lives of seniors and the disabled easier, but in some cases, it allows the person to remain in his or her home. In-Home Supportive Services provides domestic and personal help, such as:
- Grooming and bathing.
- Help with dressing.
- Meal preparation and clean up.
Who provides IHSS Services?
- In-Home Supportive Services are provided by independent providers.
- The IHSS recipient is the employer of his/her provider and is responsible for hiring and supervising the provider.
The types of services which can be authorized through IHSS are housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services), accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired.
You may be eligible for IHSS if you:
To be eligible, you must be over 65 years of age, or disabled, or blind. Disabled children are also eligible for IHSS. IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care such as nursing homes or board and care facilities.
- Are a current recipient of Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP); or
- You meet all the eligibility criteria for SSI/SSP except that your income is in excess of the SSI/SSP
- You meet all the eligibility criteria for SSI/SSP, including income, but do not receive SSI/SSP; or
- You are a Medi-Cal recipient who meets SSI/SSP disability criteria.
To apply for IHSS
Complete the application linked below and submit it to Social Services or call us.
Application For Social Services Spanish version