Fictitious Business Name Statements

Effective January 1, 2014, anyone filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement, Abandonment, or Withdrawal in person must present a valid government-issued identification, such as a driver's license, state-issued identification card, or passport.

Fictitious Business Names Statements are filed at the Clerk-Recorder's office in person or by mail.

California State law (Business and Professions Code section 17910) requires that every person, partnership, corporation, or other association, who regularly transacts business in California for profit under a Fictitious Business Name, file a statement with the County in which the principal place of business is located. Part of the filing requirement is that the statement be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the County in which the business is located.